Tuesday, October 21, 2008

From Sting to Weather Report: A Sampler


I bought an iTunes gift card the other day and gave it to myself. Is there any other way? Here is what I spent my hard-earned money on:

  • Tea In The Sahara by Sting. The silky song inspired by the book The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles
  • Art For Art's Sake by 10cc. Maybe the weirdest band ever.
  • Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds the Elton John remake. Friggin' A, man!
  • We Are In Love the awesome album by Harry Connick Jr., whose singing no one has confused with mine
  • Flash's Theme by Queen. You know, the movie Flash Gordon?!?
  • If I had a Hammer by Peter, Paul, and Mary. Gotta love 60's antiwar folk songs
  • I Dig Rock n Roll also by PP&M
  • Feelin' Alright by Joe Cocker. The coolest use of the vibraslap in any rock song
  • Wicked Game by Chris Isaak. Remember the 1991 video in which he's laying around the beach with the nude model? Holy crap. Cool song, too.
  • Fade Into You by Mazzy Star. Haunting song. Very ethereal.
  • Thank U by Alanis Morissette. How can you beat a song that starts "How 'bout getting off these antibiotics"...?
  • April Come She Will by Simon and Garfunkel. I picture a rainy day, a farmhouse with dirty, cobwebby windows for some reason. But in a good way
  • Uninvited by Alanis Morissette. I don't know why, but when I hear this my balls shrivel up and I feel like I've just been rejected at a junior high dance
  • Empty Garden Elton John's loving tribute to John Lennon. Mark David Chapman, fuck you
  • Electric Counterpoint I by Pat Methany, a song NOT for those with ADHD or prone to seizures
  • Here's Where the Story Ends by The Sundays. A chipper, fun-loving, bubbly kind of song. About breaking up. Mmmm. delish...
  • Journey to Fort Sedgewick from the soundtrack "Dances With Wolves" by John Barry. Sweeping prairie vistas, loads of wheat and the prospect of injuns. Cool!
  • Why by Annie Lennox, who started out in the 80s with the Eurythmics and was a strange gal. Still strange, but a great song that starts with How many times do I have to try to tell you/That I'm sorry for the things I've done
  • Birdland by Weather Report, a 70s jazz fusion band. My oldest brother, Alden, had the album (Heavy Weather) so naturally it reminds me of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment