Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Fun Resolve

How's this for a New Year's resolution?


I resolve to review, edit and republish Surfacing, and to write its sequel for publication by July, 2013. And have fun doing it.
Right? Very simple. To the point. No chance of me being able to wriggle out of it by using vague language. Like "Write a book" or "Write".

I thought so.

A long time coming, I think.

I have this habit of straying from the things I love to write in order to write the things I think I should write.

I had forgotten the ease with which Surfacing was written, relatively speaking. It was fun. It flowed nicely from conception to finished piece. But then, afterwards, I vanished. I got myself into this spiral, creatively. I considered Surfacing to be a "test" of my resolve. I told myself If I write it, then publish it, I will have proven that I can be a serious writer.

On a subconscious level I was telling myself "Write the kids book to prove I can write, and then go on to write serious novels."

What I missed was that the entire point of writing in the first place was to enjoy it. To have fun. Surfacing was fun

Rewriting it will be even more fun. It will clean up problems found in the first printing, and make it a better springboard for its sequel.

I can't wait for 2013 to start. 

I can't wait to have fun again writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment