Monday, April 20, 2009

Blocking

A lot of times in my life - probably yours too - there is a duality going on. One thing is happening while on another level something else and both share a common bond.

Like blocking.

Right now, I'm working on blocking for the show I'm directing. Blocking, for you non-theater nerds like me, is physical directions the director gives the actors when delivering their lines in a given scene.

Like, "On your line, walk from the chair to the couch," or "When you shout, jump from the balcony, do a tuck-and-roll, and end with a smile with your arms open wide."

That's blocking.

So, now, the duality. I am blocking creatively too. And I don't mean I'm planning the physical activities of my characters.

I'm blocking as in, I'm BLOCKED. I'm NOT moving at all.

Ironic, huh? I can block actors playing characters, but I'm completely frozen with my own characters.

There's no correlation. It's just one of those things. I'm sitting here every day, writing, but not creatively. (I try to write everyday, even if it's just nonsense).

It's just the way things go. You come to accept, as an artist of any medium, that you're not going to be "on" 24/7. And being blocked is actually a good sign. It usually means your mind is working through some problems creatively.

And all it takes is time and patience.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah- and I just randomly tagged you for a silly little meme on my blog... perhaps it will help with your blockage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that you have a positive outlook on being blocked. Some find it frustrating to the point that the frustration continues the block longer than needed.

    I once read a definition of blocking as "The art of moving actors on the stage in such a manner as not to collide with the walls, the furniture, the orchestra pit or each other. Similar to playing chess, except that the pawns want to argue with you. "

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that my blocking is much like a battle plan: it never survives first contact with the enemy.

    ReplyDelete