Thursday, March 5, 2009

Cool Stuff


So I got presents yesterday, for my 41st.

I'm a strong believer in giving me gifts. Always have been.

Here's what my loved-ones showered upon me. I am SO psyched.

In no particular order, of course:

Shelby Foote is considered to be one of America's greatest historians. He wrote a small series called The Civil War.

Actually, it's three thick volumes that starts with the South's departure from the Union and ends with the last battle of the war. Hundreds of thousands of words devoted to the war. WAY cool. I've wanted this for awhile.


So, I'm a collector of sorts. I collect books about writing. Inspirational, instructive, short, long, from Stephen King to writers I don't even think actually write fiction.

I love to read how others approach the craft.

Corrine bought me "The 3 a.m. Epiphany" a book of writing exercises.

Again, way cool. She knows me. She really really knows me.





I also got a Columbia jacket. Not a winter coat but a fleece zip-up, to replace the pullover that, to quote Corrine, "Is for shit."

Apparently I've worn the beloved pullover for too long.

I've always been a fan of fleece. And pullovers. And, well, anything that keeps me warm.

I will wear this year-round, don't you know. I mean, if you've been to my house, you know in July we warm the kitchen by leaving the refrigerator door open.

True story.




Civilization IV is a role-playing game for your PC. It's a thinking-man's game, which means I suck at it.

Actually, it's not like the games most kids are playing. You don't hunt down vampires or gargoyles or aliens. No laser guns or WWII scenarios.

Civ IV is the latest edition of a game in which you build your own civilization (America, Germany, France, etc.) from the ground up. From, like, 10,000 B.C. to today.

I like it because you can start and stop any time, and you really have to think about how to mature your civilization over time, taking into consideration food, finances, your military, etc.

Ok. I'm a geek.

Like you didn't know that already.

Okay, last but not least, Harrison and Fallon got me an iTunes card, and I spent the better part of the morning picking out songs I love.

I used to have thousands. On CDs. But that's a blog for another day.

Suffice it to say (I've never known what that means, but I love saying it) I made out like a bandit yesterday.

I have the best family, like, EVER.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment